Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Ketchup in a bowl is not tomato soup! Mar. 23, 2015

This week was pretty exciting! It started Tuesday! Tuesday for lunch a sister made Roast Beef and Mashed potatoes with Corn on the cob!!!!
I was in Heaven! There was also bread but nothing like mom's home made rolls or Grandmas Home made bread, but it was very good! I, of course ate 90% of the mashed potatoes she made. She had lived in the US before so she knew how to make them. Mostly, here in Mexico, they are served cold. I almost gagged the first time I ate cold mashed potatoes. Being from Idaho has made me a little prideful on how I like my potatoes. Never-the-less, I partook of the cold potatoes and finished my plate. 
Wednesday and Thursday were normal days filled with teaching and interviews.
Friday we went to a ranch where S and M live. It was a pretty funny lesson. Well, what happened before is what's funny. They have a motorcycle and so I sat down on it pretending to ride it. But then S comes over and tells me to start it up. It took me a few tries but I go it. Then she let me ride it around. I only went in a circle of about a 25ft radius.  It was fun and I picked it up a lot quicker than my companion. 
Saturday the other Elders had a baptism so we went to help them out. Other than that Saturday was also a normal day.
Sunday we had a great turn out! S, M, J, N, and her aunt all came to church. S and M are really great and have a baptismal date for this coming Sunday. It's been a little hard teaching them because they live a little ways away so we'll have to pass by every day this week to  keep them motivated.
J, is a 13 year old friend of a recent convert. He came Sunday and was laughing with all the young men so I'm pretty sure that's a good sign. 
N and her aunt are family members of some other recent converts. N just had her baby and was recovering from that but she came and she liked it. She and her aunt came with her mom and sister who are recent converts,
 We formed our district basketball team in honor of March Madness.

After eating the wonderful mashed potatoes and corn I have been feeling more American and have been craving a grilled cheese with tomato soup. Well they don't have the good American -cheddar cheese so I had to improvise and used that plastic kraft single junk that always stuck to the ceiling of Maple Grove because all the kids rebelled against the nasty stuff. Anyways I had to use that. Next there was no tomato soup found in all of Tierra Blanca! so me and my bright ideas, told the sister to just heat up Ketchup on the stove and add a little milk. Bad idea! I basically ate a bowl of Ketchup! It was good at first but right now I'm feeling the effects. I guess I'll just have to wait 2 and a half more months until I can eat the good stuff again.
So this week I had a bit of personal revelation. It was pretty cool. this week a few members showed us a few videos of a few members of the church with excellent talents. Mainly singing. And I got to thinking of my own talents and how I haven't really developed much of my musical or sports talents and so I was thinking of what I could do if I had dedicated a little more time to one or two things. I was reading in Jacob 2 and reread a scripture mastery that penetrated deeper than before. "But before ye seek for riches, seek ye the kingdom of god. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ, ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them, and ye will seek them, for the intent to do good. to clothe the naked and to feed the hungry and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted." I felt so dumb for even wanting to be rich. yea it would be nice but I realized that the richest man in the world is he who has found God. I may not be the most popular, richest or best looking, but as it says in Alma chapter 1, the richest, best looking, and most prosperous people are those who serve and give to those who stand in need. May we try a little better to look around a notice those who really need us. every morning we should ask ourselves, "Who needs my love today?" and then we should pray and ask God to guide us to these people. 

Elder Dial

 

No comments:

Post a Comment